The holiday season is upon us! With Thanksgiving just one day away, we thought giving some tips and pointers of navigating food at holiday parties would be helpful. Here are Coach Alex’s top 5 tips for not completely falling off the “paleo” wagon at Thanksgiving.
- LOAD UP ON PROTEIN – before you even think about putting a scoop of mashed potatoes on your plate, hit up the turkey carving station, the smoked ham & the prime rib. Sides should always be put on the plate last after protein and vegetables have taken up most of the space of the plate.
- ALCOHOL. We all know Thanksgiving is a time to eat, drink & be merry. A simple tip? Stay away from hard liquor. If you are going to drink, wine is the best option. Take a drink of water every time you take a drink of wine. Not only will this keep you hydrated but it will also prevent you from plowing through an entire glass of wine in 5 minutes.
- BYOD. Visiting someone else for Thanksgiving? Bring your own tasty side dish. This help out the hostess AND it will give you at least one solid dish you can feel okay eating. Who knows, you might even lure some people over to the paleo side.
- DESSERT. Here is where most people fall off the wagon. Use this as another opportunity to win people over with your paleo cooking skills. Making this grain free apple + pear crisp will be sure to convert people over to the real food side. Bonus, the recipe is insanely easy.
- JUST RELAX. At the end of the day, this is a time to enjoy family, friends and give thanks for the blessings we have. If you are a guest at someone’s home, be thankful for the food that has been prepared for you and avoid the dinner rolls. If your Grandma only makes her famous pumpkin pie ONCE a year and it happens to be on Thanksgiving, eat a damn slice and enjoy every single bite with the understanding that this won’t happen again until next year.
Have a WONDERFUL Thanksgiving!